WELCOME TO P.C.R.S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I block a web site from being viewed?

Go down

How can I block a web site from being viewed? Empty How can I block a web site from being viewed?

Post  pac_admin Wed May 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Question:

I have been having a lot of problems with my computer due to my teenagers accessing web sites that they should not be accessing. Despite my efforts of educating them on the viral consequences, they continue to follow their peers to these scumware infested sites. Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from accessing certain sites?

Answer:

Yes, if you know which ones they are accessing, it is a pretty simple task. You can use the Windows 'Hosts' file to accomplish this, here's how:

In Windows XP, the hosts file is found here:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Once you have found the hosts file, right click it and select Properties. Uncheck the "Read-Only" attribute (if checked). Click OK.

Double click the 'Hosts' file and select "Notepad" from the list of programs to open it with.

Once you have the hosts file open in Notepad, you will see an entry such as:

127.0.0.1 localhost

To block a certain web page from loading, add the following:

127.0.0.1 www.webpage.com

Your Hosts file will now look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 www.webpage.com

Add as many web addresses as you like in the same fashion.

Once you are finished, go up to 'File' and click 'Save'.

The web pages listed in your 'Hosts' file should be blocked from access. It may be necessary for you to reboot your computer for these changes to take effect.
pac_admin
pac_admin
Admin

Location : 111 enriquez st. brgy caingin malolos city , bulacan

http://pcrs.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum